As we we develop through the digital age, more and more small businesses are committing more to their digital marketing. Whether that is through social media, PPC (Pay Per Click), email marketing or SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), it is clear that small business owners are becoming more aware of the potential their business can reach online.
But where can you find the right information? What is the best return on investment? What is the best form of digital marketing for your business? Unfortunately there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for every business and budget but getting the right advice is key to your business using the most cost efficient methods.
Why SEO Matters
In this post, we are looking to inform small business owners why SEO matters f you have a website – without any complicated jargon!
- If you optimise your website pages for SEO, you will appear further up the rankings on search engines such as Google & Bing.
- SEO can help you rank for specific search terms & keywords – allowing you to target more relevant audiences.
- With only around 35% of small businesses optimising their website with SEO, you have a better chance of a customer landing on your page.
- Search Engine Optimisation is a more long-term process than PPC advertising but with a good SEO strategy it is more cost-effective.
How You Can Get Started With SEO
- Get a sitemap of your website & start to pencil keywords you would like each page to rank for.
- Ensure each page you wish to rank on Google has a Meta Title & Meta Description that contains your keywords.
- Ensure all images that are relevant to the page title have a correct title (CIMG3244.jpg from your camera is not great) & alt text.
- Link your website to your Google My Business page & the Google Search Console & upload your sitemap – this tells google to crawl your website.
- Get an SSL certificate for your website.
- Use a blog or news posts on your website to focus on the services & products your business offers. 1 or 2 posts a week is great to let google know your site is active & fresh content is still being produced.
- Get listed on local & relevant directories.
There is more to a complete SEO marketing plan but these are all relatively easy tasks that will help give your website a boost up the rankings. We offer SEO audits for small businesses. If you would like to know more about how we can create an SEO plan for your business & why SEO matters, contact us.